When I was in high school there was a song that
hit it big. Well, it wasn’t a song so much as a commencement speech that was
spoken over the sound of a fairly catchy beat. The speech/song topped the
charts in the spring, and I think that year’s graduating class at my high
school even used it for their own commencement, which at the time seemed super
hip and fresh, but looking back now I can see it was actually kinda lazy.
Regardless, the speech—as it was played on the radio—was
spoken by Baz Luhrmann, who is a notable filmmaker. He is probably most known
for directing Romeo + Juliet,
starring Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. Most girls I went to school with truly lost
their shit over this movie. And, as such, I had to fake the loss of my own
shit, despite hating the movie, because that’s how peer pressure works.
At the time, “Free to Wear Sunscreen” was known as that
commencement speech the irreverent Kurt Vonnegut gave to MIT. This was the
part that intrigued me the most, as I was a very progressive and heady teenager
who was extremely into all things Vonnegut. This made me highly intelligent,
and also, a bit too cool for school.
My dad and I hollered out in excitement any time we heard
Vonnegut’s words, spoken by Baz, come through the radio. Although I had to make
sure Dad understood my frustration with the sudden interest in, and adoration
for, Kurt from my classmates, when I had been a veritable fan of his for
nearly seven months. So, as long as everyone understood I loved Vonnegut before
it was cool to love Vonnegut, I was happy for others to discover what a badass
Kurt Vonnegut was.
The speech gives sound advice. Not just most notably to “wear
sunscreen,” but also unforgettable lines like: “Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.” This spoke to me as a
teenager who was prone to beat myself up too much.
And while that spoke
to me at the time—a young, tie-dye wearing, misunderstood Vonnegut lover—it
spoke to me even more last week on the way home from work, when I heard this
spoken by Baz on the radio for the first time in more than 15 years.
It was late at night
and I was driving home after class. For reasons I can’t quite understand, the
moments after class has adjourned and I’m alone in the car are often a stream
of intense and conflicting emotions. Most of this is because I’m very keyed up
after class. I’m usually reeling over a great discussion, or a profound thought
from a student, or the thrill of an intense argument handled with maturity by disagreeing intellectuals. But
I’m also evaluating the nuances of the class. Did everyone feel their voice was
heard? Was anyone shot down too quickly? Did they truly understand why I paired
that journal article with that book chapter? Are my probing questions eliciting the right thoughts? And, the question that
constantly plagues me: Are they learning?
Now, on the one hand,
I’m fully aware these aren’t fourth graders and I’m not a truly powerful
influence over their learning. Instead, these are adults with jobs and spouses and kids and other things occupying their minds. But even still, I take my job as an
educator very seriously—despite all the joke telling in class.
I assumed when a
person completed the requirements for a PhD they would suddenly have all the
answers to all the questions (in the field) and instantly become an expert on
the topic. I had this same assumption about birthing a baby; once I completed
the task, I would suddenly be an expert in parenting.
But it wasn’t the case
with birthing children and it’s not the case with teaching students. The PhD
did do a lot to further my knowledge of the field, but I’m still learning.
Knowing this, that no
one is an expert, least of all me, I work hard to ensure the environment is
ripe for learning. No matter who is credited with dispensing the knowledge. Which is why I’m most
drawn to delivering courses in a seminar style format, in which students are
assigned readings each week and all the class time is devoted to discussing and
debating the content.
I serve as referee.
And most every class,
I find myself hearing a new perspective on government or policy or public
service from a police officer, or an FBI agent, or a nonprofit executive
director or a small business owner, a perspective that comes in direct conflict with a truth
or a principle I’ve always believed or held.
I’m still learning. And the sources of that knowledge are a moving target.
So last week, after
one such class, I drove home digesting the conversation—the questions, the
reactions and the true civility among a group of people who don’t always agree
with one another—and I heard the words of Vonnegut come through my radio. And I
listened. Perhaps more intently than I had listened to them as a 14-year-old. And
I began to cry. Not an ugly cry, not a pull-over-on-the-side-of-the-road cry,
but the gentle, beautiful crying of a pretty woman on a television drama. One
tear at a time came up and out from my bottom lid, and slid gracefully down my
cheek and even I couldn’t tell—from inside the dark car with Baz talking to me—if
I was happy or sad.
I suppose I was
comforted. By familiar words from my favorite writer.
And I was so moved by
these words, so taken with the emotion that had come over me in the car that
when I pulled into my driveway, I sat for a moment in quiet reflection. But, in
this day and age, quiet reflection can only get you so far before you are
overcome with the need to do an Internet search on your iPhone.
I attempted to search
for the lyrics to “Free to Wear Sunscreen” to discover one of the first Google
hits was an article explaining how the song was mistakenly attributed to Kurt
Vonnegut.
In an instant my
beautiful and graceful Emmy-nominated tears dried up and were replaced with a horrified and
grief-stricken Oscar-worthy gasp. As a person
who holds the self-appointed title as President of the Kurt Vonnegut Fan Club,
I was all at once horrified and embarrassed to discover that one of my favorite
passages of Vonnegut’s wasn’t even written by him.
I stumbled up the walk
to our porch where Jim discovered me a few minutes later staring out into the
night.
“Meg? You okay?” he
asked, opening the door.
“Kurt Vonnegut didn’t
write the sunscreen speech,” I muttered.
“Alright. Well, I can see
how that could be upsetting...Why don’t you come inside and let’s talk through
whatever the hell that means.”
After I explained this
to Jim he laughed, fondly remembering the Baz “song.” He, too, thought
Vonnegut had written it. Obviously, this wasn’t hitting him just yet because
his only real response was to shrug.
I knew of only one
person who would feel as let down as I did in the moment. So I texted him.
M: Hey Dad, remember that Vonnegut commencement speech about sunscreen?
D: Of course. Except Vonnegut didn’t write it,
right?
M: I just now found that
out. I’m not taking it well.
D: That’s to be expected. So, who did?
M: Who did what?
D: Who actually wrote the speech?
Until that moment, I
hadn’t given much thought to whose words they actually were.
And I began to wonder if perhaps the words would mean as much to me if they
weren’t coming from the brilliant mind of one of the more profound writers there
ever was.
Before I could reflect
too long on this question, I pulled out my phone again. This time, when I searched for the speech, I realized it was actually written by a woman, Mary
Schmich, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for the Chicago Tribune.
I was intrigued to
discover a woman wrote this. After all, it was spoken by a man in the hit song.
And up until 15 minutes earlier, I thought it was written by one, too.
But knowing it was a
woman behind the words suddenly changed them for me. I read the article, the
original article, and I suddenly saw the speech differently. It wasn’t a
wise, brilliant, satirist sighing and laughing at youth today, telling them to
chill the f*ck out. It was a woman, roughly the same age I am
now, looking around at other women and reminding us to be kind to our bodies,
our minds, and, for the love of God, protect our skin!
This was a revelation.
Maybe not a big enough one to make Jim understand all my chest grabbing and
gasping, but suddenly these words had new meaning. A woman, a well-known and well-respected
columnist, was using her platform
at a newspaper to give some pithy advice to others. And her words were usurped.
By men.
Now, I’ve matured enough to
realize I wasn’t all that wise at 14, and there are numerous other people now
whom I would rank above Kurt Vonnegut. I’m also mature and wise enough now to
know that advice from a woman—even a Pulitzer Prize-winning one—might not have
been enough to influence me then as it is now.
And while I can
certainly interpret the words differently now than I did then, I can’t help but
realize that, regardless of who said the words, there is only one single thing
I’ve done every day, consistently, for the past 18 years:
Wear sunscreen.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.