I hear a sound trumpet loud,
And I open just one eye.
It’s the alarm yelling at me,
To this I must reply.
The younger kid is waking up,
And I hear her begin to cry.
Her diaper is full, her belly is not,
To this I must reply.
The older child springs out of bed,
Her curls are all awry.
I go in search of detangler,
To this I must reply.
The dog begins to whimper,
A full bladder she can’t deny.
I rush to open the back door,
To this I must reply.
My husband heads out the door,
And turns to say good-bye.
He puckers up his lips,
To this I must reply.
I hear my phone whistle out,
A friend texting to verify
Our lunch plans later on today,
To this I must reply.
At the office there is a meeting,
And we need to unify.
They are asking for my input,
To this I must reply.
In the classroom I stand in front,
With a directive to edify.
A student has a question,
To this I must reply.
My phone lights up again,
My calendar wants to certify
That I’m headed to the next appointment,
To this I must reply.
Then Facebook begs to be opened,
There’s so much they want to notify.
The red badge glows angrily,
To this I must reply.
Then I click on Instagram,
For filters on which I rely.
Someone left a comment,
To this I must reply.
I was mentioned in another app,
With the blue bird that cannot fly.
And I need to be clever in so few words,
To this I must reply.
I open up my inbox,
Messages in strong supply.
I see a few from my boss,
To this I must reply.
There’s a knock on my office door,
A stressed-out student has stopped by.
The assignment is late, she’s concerned,
To this I must reply.
A breaking story fills my ears,
One that can only horrify.
I feel the need to speak or act,
To this I must reply.
I’m running late to pick up kids,
But my gas tank has run dry.
I pull off at a station,
To this I must reply.
The children scream and shout
For food to satisfy
The hunger in their bellies,
To this I must reply.
I hear a buzzer from a machine
To alert me clothes are dry.
I grab a basket in preparation,
To this I must reply.
We turn on the TV to relax,
Netflix shows seem to multiply.
There’s so much left to get through,
To this I must reply.
I see the covers turned down,
And in the bed I want to lie.
Even though I owe more responses,
To this I must reply.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.